From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 07:03:58 -0500
The idea of requiring mothers to bring their own ABM to the hospital if they
want their babies to have it is an excellent one, but I'm sure would meet
with resistance among nursing staff.  I remember bringing this suggestion up
at a meeting primarily of OB nurses at a rural hospital.  The reaction was
extremely hostile.  They were all worried about liability and disclaimers.
 Again I am reminded of the parallels between ABM regulation and the tobacco
industry.  We are just a long way behind on this issue.  Smoking is banned in
many hospitals now, but when it was allowed, smokers had to bring their own
cigarettes.  I was heartened by the settlement last week against tobacco
companies.  Changes WILL come for the formula industry too in time.

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY