From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:11:32 -0400
Interesting points you make, and questions you ask, Jessica.  I completely
agree with what you have said.

I think that it's high time that there was factual and informative information
about wet nursing and cross nursing available to lactation professionals and to
lactating women.  I think this particular subject is similar to the whole co-
sleeping situation - there *are* some risks, but there are also many benefits,
and regardless of the risk/benefit ratio, there WILL be women all around the
world who engage in these practices.

As professsionals, we must remember that even the WHO recognizes that milk
from another mother is a better choice then milk from a cow.  It begs to be
asked:  Is milk from another woman ALWAYS better if it's been pasteurized, or
is 'raw' a preferrable option?

We as professionals have a responsibility to ensure that we are providing up-
to-date, factual information that is not based on fear or myth.

La Leche League has taken the "safe" road of stating that they do not
advocate the practice and quoting only the risks, and I suppose from a
mother-to-mother support organization who has enough trouble trying to
debunk the mainstream's view of it, this is likely the best approach for them.

However, as both an LLLL and IBCLC, I would like to offer my clients a more
balanced approach to info on wet nursing and cross nursing.

Blessings!

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL
Gulf Islands, BC, Canada