Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:03:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hi Ilene

With respect, I don't think anyone with knowledge of the intrinsic 'value' of breastmilk would ever 'just' give formula, but as we all know, the percentage of such individuals in any given population/group is disproportionately low.

That aside, donated breastmilk for use in emergencies won't be a feasible option until the infrastructure exists eg a safe space/haven where donations can be stored and distributed, and then fed/transferred to babies within such a contained area, thereby minimising the risk of contamination.

Of course, in the 'best of all possible worlds', such safe havens would be 'ready to go' in emergencies - easily erected, generators for refrigeration, and appropriately trained personnel. (Aaaahhh...)

In this 'world' mothers and babies could reasonably expect that such a facility would be set up as a priority in response to their special emergency within the overall emergency.

Any infants not able to be fed by other mothers or whose mothers are unable to relactate could then receive donated breastmilk under the most hygienic conditions possible in such situations.

Unfortunately, we are a long way from this scenario, but I see no reason not to 'shoot for the stars'.

Bottom-line, I have no 'on-the-ground' experience, so these thoughts are always going to be modified by that. But when I try to put myself in a hypothetical situation where breastfeeding could not be continued eg both breasts severely damaged/crushed by rubble, no access to wet-nursing or donated breastmilk, I know that I would accept any form of sustenance in an effort to keep my baby alive and take my chances with the risks of infection.

The above is in no way meant to be derisive, and thank you for inspiring me to articulate my thoughts on such a deeply complex matter.

Cheers, Julieanne
IBCLC, Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2