From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:20:45 -0500
>If the "scissors" is narrow and
>over part of the areola, then that could lead to the baby taking only the
>nipple, with obvious resulting problems.  But if the "scissors" is wide
>and allows baby to take enough areola, then there should be no problem.

I agree.  In fact, when I see a mom holding her baby sideways across
herself but holding her breast in a "C" shape, I wince.  Tip baby and
breast 90 degrees so it's easier to relate to, and you see someone trying
to eat a Big Mac with the long axis running floor to ceiling.  In contrast,
a scissor hold makes a nicely aligned sandwich-shaped wedge for a sideways
baby, so long as mom knows to keep that middle finger out of the way.
Those of us who didn't use a scissor hold probably *did* press with at
least one finger to make a vertical indentation in our breast - the
underside of the sideways baby's sandwich.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY