From:
PAUL MATTES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:01:29 -0600
Dear Jean:

Wow - I am really embarrassed now!    I am an IBCLC who is not an
RN and who has never worked in a medical field and although I do
keep up, I've worked in private practice for 18 years and probably
see fewer 'medical' conditions than the typical RN - LC's who work
in hospitals.  Guess I'd better start digging in to learn more about this.
My brother was a Type 1 diabetic (he died in 1975 of kidney failure)
so I have a 'basic' understanding of that disease process, and a bit
about hypoglycemia as well, but apparently I still do not have a very
good understanding of glucose metabolism.  I did wonder how this
baby was doing OK without insulin.  and...I thought diabetes was
'never' found in infants.

Do you (or any other LC's out there) have any resources for me to
seek further information on this topic?  Jean I do appreciate your
patience with this lay-person.

Warmly
Sharon Mattes, IBCLC, RLC, AAHCC
Natural Beginnings...the informed parent's resource
(972) 495-2805 - www.naturalbeginningsonline.com

One person with a dream is equal to 99 who only have an interest!