From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 06:54:29 -0800
I agree that rough treatment is never appropriate but I did want to throw
something into the conversation.  Babies are different in their degree of
sensitivity.  Some babies feel a gentle brushing of the nipple across their
lips and they reach out with their mouths and latch, using the RAM
techniques seems to overstimulate them and make them cry more and become
frustrated.  Other babies open their mouths and shake their heads back and
forth and scream in frustration until they feel the sensations firmly that
tell them to  latch and suck.  I see all different levels of this.  One baby
will need to feel definate pressure on the tongue, another will need to have
his chin and tip of his nose touching the breast.  Finding the correct level
for each baby is the key.  Sensitivity to the baby and mother is a real key
here.

I have to agree with the post of give it 10-15 minutes, teach the mother how
to do it and what to watch for and then leave them to work on it.  Very
often when I return they have achieved a successful latch and are happily
feeding.

When we are teaching breastfeeding we need to break away from dogma of
specific techniques.  I think we need to understand all the varieties (and
maybe develop a few of our own) and be able to assess each situation and
teach what is appropriate.  I've yet to see one method that works for all.

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC
(La Crescenta, CA)