Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:11:41 EST
Robyn,
This sounds frightening.  Her doctor is stumped??  You did not mention any
diagnostic tests that have been done.  This mother needs IMMEDIATE testing and
diagnosis to find out what this is.  Not next week -- NOW!  If the doctor
refuses, change doctors immediately!  I have known too many women in my life
who have developed breast cancer while pregnant, breastfeeding or at a young
age when it was thought they were low risk. It has not responded to treatment
as a breast infection. Get an ultrasound, mammogram, and needle biopsy.  What
you describe could be an abscess or cancer, but I doubt the abscess because it
has been there since the last weeks of pregnancy.  She needs a good doctor who
will diagnose this.  A good doctor will not be stumped because he will find
out what it is,not just scratch his head and say "I don't know".  Breast
problems like this should NOT be watched for weeks, but really diagnosed.
This baby needs to have his mother there, alive and well as he grows up.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA

 Dear Lactnetters
                I have a problem that I have never encountered before. I
 wonder if anyone can help me. The mother developed a generalised hardness of
 one breast in the last 6weeks of pregnancy.It presents as a very solid
 breast but the nipple and areola area are still soft. A shelf of hardness
 commences about 2cm from the nipple and lasts right up to the chest wall. We
 expected it all to come right after breastfeeding was established. This
 hasn't happened. Breastfeeding has been going well on the other breast but
 the affected one hasn't changed. It has never produced more than a few drops
 of milk with the baby suckling or with expressing. The hardness has never
 shifted and we have tried all the usual massage and heat, as well as a
 vibrator. We stopped trying after about 3weeks expecting the hardness to go
 down when stimulation was withdrawn. It is still hard and uncomfortable 3
 weeks later, baby is now 6weeks old. Any ideas on what the problem is.Her
 doctor is stumped too. I would appreciate hearing from you.
 Regards
 Robyn Dunning NZ
 RN,RM,IBCLC