From:
Debbie Codding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:29:39 -0700
Erna, You are right, She should just skip the cereal.  My son refused
solids until 7 months and even then refused to eat cereal or bananas - made
faces like a cat throwing up a hairball, gagging and all.  I don't think he
was allergic (who knows though) but he definitely hated them.  I stopped
attempting to feed it to him and instead gave him a little of what ever I
was eating - chewed a little by me ala Inuit Indian style.  He like that so
much that he made me chew most of his food for him until he was 14-15
months (much to my chagrin).  Now he tries to feed me his prechewed food.
Probably his expression of love hahahaha.  Dr Jack what do you say?

It is really hard to convince people that baby food is not only unnecessary
but really gross.  except for the apricots heeheeheehee.

Debbie Codding, RNC
Naval Hospital Guam

----------
> From: Erna Snelgrove-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Introduction of cereal
> Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 8:24 AM
>
>      As a regular reader of lactnet, my time as come to ask my first
>      question. However, I should first introduce myself. I work as a
>      research associate for our Health Centre's Maternal Newborn and
Women's
>      Health Program and my clinical background is in labor and delivery.
>      have just written my IBCLC exam and am patiently awaiting my
results.
>      Most importantly though, I have two chilren Avery 4 1/2 yrs. and
Nathan
>      17mos (who I breasfeed). Now onto my question. I received a call
this
>      morning from a women who has been attempting for the past month to
>      introduce cereal to her 7 mos. old daughter. The mom dilutes the
cereal
>      (rice) with breastmilk and has only been able to give her daughter a
>      small amount. Following each attempt, the infant promptly throws up.
>      This mom has tried several cereal brands to see if this is the
problem
>      and she has the same result each time. We talked about the infants
>      response being possibly to the texture of the cereal, not liking it,
an
>      allergic response, or even a physiological reason. The mom is new to
>      the city (Halifax, NS) and until she is able to see a physician
(Fri.)
>      I suggested she continue to breastfeed and skip the cereal. Her
>      daughter is doing great with breastmilk so the mom felt comfortable
>      with this suggestion. So, now for my question. What advice do you
>      suggest I share with with this mom? Did I leave anything out? We
even
>      talked about skipping the cereal and starting with other foods.
>      However, until she knows the reason for throwing up, she would
rather
>      wait. This mom was anxious for me to post this queston to you all.
So,