From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:19:10 -0700
I do describe Biological Nurturing as  "laid back breastfeeding" for the
secondary implication of "not scheduled, not prescribed, baby led".  I also
let the mother, who is fearful she'll never be out of the chair, know it is
to be thought of as "training wheels."   I explain she will be using this
method so that baby is using his reflexes to help mom and he breastfeed.
Later on, mom and baby can "bicycle" in whatever way they find works for
them.

I agree that there are situations when this position does not work - but I
find a lot fewer than with any other "initial" (certified?) position.. And
moms with cesareans or with very sore perineal areas both find this a way to
reduce their discomfort.

The moms that most strongly oppose the position are those who attended
classes and come to the hospital with presupposed visions of what
breastfeeding looks like.  Providing some prenatal exposure to the concept
can be very helpful, if you can get them to come!  In our La Leche League
group this Tuesday a mom of a 3 month old volunteered to breastfeed her baby
to demonstrate it - even though she normally does not breastfeed in that
position any more - so that two other pregnant moms and one dad could see
it.

The moms that are most likely to accept/love it are the moms I see at 7 - 10
days PP with cracked and bleeding nipples - they're willing to try ANYTHING!
At a different LLL meeting last week, FOUR mothers had all come in for help
with very sore nipples - they all lined up, all used their own version (I
usually say to get comfortable as if they are going to watch a very long
sportscast or movie) of "laid back breastfeeding" and all reported such
relief!  (And the 2 dads present sighed a sigh of relief!)

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC