Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:11:41 EDT
<< At some point the trust factor has to figure in, and we can't look at what
we
 have designed for artificial feedings and assume the same for human milk
 feeds.

 I realize we don't have anything better at the moment, but.... >>

as long as we "expect" and "require" preemies to grow at an artificial rate
(intrauterine growth rates) then measuring and forcing feedings of a set
amount will continue. and yes, we do have other information, such as
practices in other countries where they do NOT expect intrauterine growth
rates, and breastfeeding is practiced without bottlefeeding first, but
whenever i try to open this discussion, no one outside the usa has
information to offer, and no one in the usa wants to discuss it either except
to defend our current expectations and to claim they are universal standards.

carol brussel IBCLC
laura nevada lactation
www.breastfeedinghelp.com