From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2023 16:05:18 +0000
Nikki,

 I couldn’t agree with you more. Economics is one lens through which we see the world, a very flawed and inadequate one. And capitalism is also one model of how the world can be.

However, we live in a capitalist society and policy makers use economic models to make policy decisions and direction. We are not in a position to dismantle capitalism and economic models on our own.

Our job is to: 1. Assure that the economic models used reflect reality as much as they can. This is something economic models do very poorly, so we have our work cut out for us; 2. Be persistent in reminding legislators, policy makers and others that breastfeeding is, indeed, priceless and why. Economic models are a limited tool.

Naomi