From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:15:06 -0500

>Hi,
>a friend and LLLL has asked me to try and source soft, latex nipple
>shields in the UK. She finds the easiest way to wean babies off nipple
>shields is to cut them away bit by bit, until the baby is nursing
>directly off the breast, but only silicon nipple shields are available.

Not one of my favorite subjects, but I will comment on the facts.  An article
in Early Human Development, 4:357, 1980 done by Woolridge, Baum, and Drewett
showed that with the traditional (Mexican Hat) that milk transfer was reduced
by 58% and that with the thin Latex nipple shield (many on the market), milk
supply was reduced by 22%.  Studies have shown that with the thin, silicone
nipple shield, milk supply decreases  18%.  I have had people ask if there
are recommendations to cut back the nipple shield for weaning the baby off
the shield.  Medela suggests never to cut back the nipple shield because
there have been instances with various nipple shields that babies have gotten
cuts in their mouths.  I personally found, way back a few years, that cutting
them back never helped anyway because the baby would just scream and cry when
it was low enough and want the shield back again.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection, Medela,
Naperville, IL