From:
Hetty Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:19:43 -0400
Dear Colleagues:

I posted on this a few days ago and (except for one support email), got no
response so I am posting again.
I am interested in an article entitled "Maternal Codeine is not safe for all
breast-fed infants"
articlehttp://www.pharmacists.ca/content/cpjpdfs/nov_dec06/SafetyFirst_Mad
adi.pdf
The article relates to mothers for whom codeine rapidly metabolizes into
morphine (they are ultra rapid metabolizers of cytochrome 2D6). Motherrisk
team out of Toronto has promoted focus on the question. The Canadian
Family Practice Conference will focus on this question during their 2007 fall
conference.
Thoughts relating to this?

Thank you
Hetty Watters, RNC, MA, IBCLC