From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:32:52 -0800
I have had numerous requests for the "premie bill of rights" I saw posted on a
crib in our ICN.   Well, let me wipe the egg off my face while I pull my foot out
of my mouth.  Apparently, a parent had made this up for her own baby, which baby of course is no longer there, and only a few of the nurses from the Unit can even remember having seen it.  I knew I should have looked at it closer at the time.

But may be this provides us with the challenge to develop just such a thing --
and I will gladly accept all input at :    [log in to unmask]   I don't "need" a project right now, but would be happy to coordinate, compile and collect all suggestions, and of course ask for input from our ICN doctors, nurses and parents.

The line that I quoted actually comes from our ICN mission statement, which I
am reproducing below, and suggest the underlined sections to be the preamble?

"The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) by its nature, is a stressful environment with high levels of noise and light 24 hours a day.  A Developmentally Supportive Care program in the NICU promotes prevention and management of stress in premature and very low birth weight infants.  Within a multidisciplinary team, utilizing an integrated clinical path, the NIDCAP certified case manager and the bedside nurse jointly coordinate a developmental approach to care throughout hospitalization and transition to home.  The child is an active partner in his care and has his own developmental goals.  We also reconize that parents are the one constant in the infant's life and acknowledge that these parents must be active participants in the care of their infants.  In addition, providing a family centered program maximizes opportunities for family participation and supports infants and their families to reach their full potential."

Suggested start:

WHEREAS, we recognize that the NICU is by its nature a stressful environment
with high levels of noise and light 24 hours a day; and

WHEREAS, we believe that even a premature infant is an active partner in his care, having his own developmental goals; and

WHEREAS, we also recognize that parents are the one constant in the infant's life;

NOW,  THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT  ALL PREMATURE INFANTS HAVE THE FOLLOWING RIGHTS:

To be recognized as belonging to his parents, not the hospital staff;

To have its parents involved in the decision making process;

To be held by its parents as soon as possible, and in lieu of being held, to
be able to be touched by its parents;

To have as much Kangaroo care as possible, given the considerations of their individual conditions;

To be allowed to breast feed as soon as it is stable enough to so do; or, in lieu
of being breastfed, to be provided with mom's own milk as soon as, and to the
extent that, it is available;

That all efforts be expended to provide infant with the nutrition it needs without
resorting to a bottle, or formula feeding;

That parents be encouraged and taught to do as much of the day-to-day care
of the infant as possible, within the limitations of their abilities to do so;

SUGGESTIONS; ADDITIONS; EDITORIAL COMMENTS PLEASE

Chanita, in San Francisco