From:
"Anne L. Varberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:49:10 -0600
> My almost 10 year old daughter is today complaining of a sore
> breast.  She doesn't really have breasts so I was a little boggled
> from the start.  When I look, the sore one has a definitly enlarged
> and pinker appearance, and the nipple seems dimpled inward.
> I can palpate an odd little mass, firm and slightly larger than a pea.
> The other nipple seems normal, flat, pale....no mass.

Hi, Pearl :)

I ran across a webpage that I printed out..unfortunately I no longer have the
url, but I bet if you do a web search on breast bud you will be able to find it.

Here's a chunk from the page I'll type in:

"The next most worrisome lump is that found in girls, often as young as 6 years
old.  A "breast bud" generally heralds the onset of puberty.  They most often
are discovered around 9 years of age.  Often only one breast is involved or if
both are involved, one side is larger than the other.  The breast may be tender
to pressure.  This is the normal development of puberty and should not cause the
parents or child any distress."

Hope this helps!
Anne in Mpls