From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 07:05:57 -0600
Hi Shirley , does she have hives? It sounds like she may be having an
ongoing urticarial reaction to something she came into contact at some time
earlier, such as a drug postpartum/intrapartum. I had patient who,
everytime she nursed who get horrible itchiness and anxiety...we figured
out it was a reaction to cephalexin she had for a UTI postpartum. She was
given prednisone and the problem subsided. For some reason the symptoms
would become more prominient with nursing, just as urticaria flares with
increased body heat, so therefore it is not the nursing activity itself.
There was a case similar to this published in like 1993 in the Lancet with
a similar problem. I vote that her symptoms sound very IGE mediated, and to
investigate in that manner. Anne Eglash MD