From:
Lynette Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:13:33 -0500
> Rh neg factor has to do with blood and doesn't have anything to do with
> breastfeeding at all.  It is the absence of one factor in blood.  Rhogam
is
> given to protect subsequent pregnancies, so the mother won't make
antibodies
> to RH factor that would impact an RH positive fetus.

It's been too long since I actually worked in a blood bank and I've got a
severe case of placental brain, but if I remember correctly, even if a Rh-
mother did become sensitized and produce anti-D (the predominant Rh antibody
and the one for which RhoGam is given), it is largely IgM and some IgG.
While the IgG antibodies would probably be in breastmilk, they would almost
certainly be destroyed in the stomach and digestive tract.  Never the less,
it is extremely unlikely that maternal antibodies would come in contact with
infant blood.   Rhesus antibodies are a problem during pregnancy because
they will cross the placenta and attach fetal blood cells.  The only way
that could happen with an infant is via transfusion, not breastfeeding.

Lynette (wearing her Medical Technologist hat today)