From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:57:13 EST
In a message dated 2/23/1 4:43:40 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< As an aside, I wonder how applicable that recent study in China (that
showed 50% reduction in breast cancer after two years of nursing) is to women
in this country (U.S.).  The Chinese diet is worlds away from the American
diet and that would certainly play a role. >>

Right. The Chinese also do not routinely consume processed foods and sugar.
However, since you now can see fast food restaurants on every main street in
the large cities, I suspect we will see the usual increases in cancer and
other degenerative diseases associated w/ such diets. And, breastfeeding is
still the norm among most Chinese living in China, but where it was once four
years or more, it is now one year or less among many of the more
"educated"--translate that to Western influenced, according to my Chinese
friends. China has a strong desire to be Westernized and is willing to give
up a great deal to get there. They do not yet see what will be lost.

<< Someone recently posted about a woman who stopped eating dairy and saw her
tumor shrink.  Has anyone else heard anything like that? >>

I have done very extensive reading on cancer. There is vast research and
experience among those who treat cancer through nutrition, supplements,
Chinese medicine and so on, related to diet. I recently attended a conference
on Functional Medicine and Women's Health. It really isn't as simple as that,
much as I (a non-cow milk consumer) would love for it to be. It is true,
however, that in much of what I have read, ending or extremely modifying cow
milk consumption is highly recommended. But, so are many other nutritional
modifications--like zero sugar consumption, removal of all food allergens,
increased EFA's, and much, much more. It is hard to say, how these things
interplay. What I have learned is that those who have the deepest
understanding of human nutrition do their research in the context of seeking
to understand gene expression. We really are not all the same.
    In my one personal experience, I can tell you that I treated
endometriosis with only 2 things--I stopped eating cow's milk (was already
vegetarian) and I used homeopathy (saw an excellent homeopath). I have had no
symptoms for 14 years.
    One last personal note--a very close family member just recovered from
cancer. He used many holistic treatments w/ chemotherapy drugs. Afterwards,
there was a spot on his liver, not there before. He used only nutritional
modifications and herbs and it disappeared. I have heard of many cases like
this where even large tumors have disappeared.
    When I come across a mother with cancer, or as now w/ a child with
cancer, I am very greatful to be able to tell her that there are options and
point her to resources. I hope every LC will store away in the back of her
mind that these methods of treatment are available.

<< (The poor Dairy Industry has really gotten a pounding from LACTnet
lately!) >>

Now, you know I don't have any sympathy! To me, that is like saying "the poor
formula industry".

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA