From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:47:08 +1000
I thought that some of you might be interested in an article I found in a
popular Australian magazine called Women's Day. This mag is not known for
it's high quality journalism but they had a "News Exclusive" on the woman
who won the Gold medal in the marathon at the Commonwealth games and her
"secret weapon"
I'll quote a section of it for you.

"   Kerryn McCann says motherhood is her secret gold weapon and plans to use
it for the 2004 Olympic Games.
She looked every bit the champion as she crossed the finish line to the
women's marathon at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in M anchester and NSW mum
Kerryn McCann will be even more dangerous come the 2004 Olympics if she can
produce her top secret weapon- breast milk!
The tiny gold medallist from Woolongong reckons if she can fall pregnant
some time next year, she'll be in the running for a medal at the Athens
Olympic Games, a prediction she puts down to a phenomenon observed while
breastfeeding her cheeky young son, Benton, now 4 years old.
"I hardly ran at all during my pregnancy, then after I had Benny, I felt
like running again," explains Kerry who ruptured a joint in her pelvis
during labour and had to wait 8 weeks before lacing up her runners. "I just
couldn;t wait to get out there and have a jog and, suddenly I became fit
again and eager again. I breastfed Ben until he was 14 months old. A lot of
people said that once I started running again after the birth, my milk would
dry up, but it didn't."
Says husband and former surfing champion Greg, "And she was running so well!
We were convinced that her breastmilk was the reason she was running like
the wind."
Having put a second baby on hold so she could achieve her goal of gold in
Manchester, Kerryn's now "definitely clicky" and planning for a child next
year. The timing is perfect and will give her a chance to test the
breastmilk theory at Athens. At 36, most athletes are past their prime, but
experience counts in marathon running, and, like marathon mums Lisa Ondieki
and heather Turland, Kerryn puts motherhood at the top of her list of
positive influences on her performance. And even her seemingly effortless
victory at the Manchester Games comes down to being a mum. "Because Ben's so
much more important to me than anything I'm a lot more relaxed about my
sport," she explains.   "

Now isn't it nice to hear a sportswoman say that she could breastfeed and
still train in her sport- and such a physically demanding sport. I thought
that some of you might find it useful for when you have clients that are
competitive in sport and are concerned that they can't breastfeed.

Karleen Gribble
Australia