From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:04:51 -0700
Niki states, "if we, who claim to be The healthcare professionals to focus on breastfeeding, can't fully adhere to the Code and demonstrate by our example, why should anyone else?  RIGHT ON, Niki!

Having worked close to 30 years on Code issues around the world (and was Chair of ILCA WHO Code Committee) I would have to say that I am shocked at how little most the of the US breastfeeding organizations are willing to do to help stop the Newark / Nestle partnership.

There has been excellent support for signing the petition. Thank you and thank you too, to the organizations who have posted info on their sites but there are organizations who have refused to even do that (check this fact out).

The petition was meant to be a grass roots / bottom up action to show there was support to end the partnership but to be successful, a top - down action is also essential.  This means that decision makers must speak out and must get the media involved so the people of Newark know what is planned for them if Nestle takes over "educating" about breastfeeding and nutrition at all 15 of Newark's Family Success Centers.

The present reality is that likely very few Newark women / families even know there is a petition in place (or why) and many think Nestle is about Mars Bars etc. This is not fair - women / families should not be kept in the dark about something that will have a negative effect on the health of their children.

Unfortunately, NO breastfeeding group has been willing to do a press release. Maria Parlapiano (petition organizer) and I have been told we are wasting their time as we continued to plead for a press release over  the last 3 months. We have been told that "things" are happening behind the scenes but they won't share what "things" means. And we have been told that this is "our" campaign while in reality this campaign belongs to everyone who says they care whether babies have the opportunity to be breastfed.

 There is likely only 1 week until the Newark / Nestle partnership is scheduled to start.  Everyone, from those slogging in the trenches, to those at the top, ALL need to show the Mayor they are on the same page and that: NEWARK / NESTLE must be stopped. Nestle has announced that they plan to partner with other US cities and states. This is an opportune time to show Nestle that we are not going to allow them to take over the role of infant nutrition education across the US or elsewhere in the world (as they have proudly announced is their plan).

Stop worrying about whether the Code can be enforced.  It is there to be used - the US has endorsed it. And the US has the excellent 2011 "Call to Action", from the Surgeon General who also talks about compliance with the Code.  I am sure the Surgeon General gave healthcare professionals her Report, EXPECTING then to use it to help women successfully breastfeed. And you have every international breastfeeding organization, working to implement WHO / UNICEF documents, supporting you and the campaign.  All these give you power.

Give up the idea of stopping Nestle or any other formula company and give up the idea that everyone will agree to what needs to be done to stop this aggressive and unethical marketing. Just get on with it! The marketing is getting worse while you wait. Lobby your breastfeeding organizations to put their mission statements of Protect,(this is the Code), Promote and Support into action.  Use the Code and the Surgeon General's Report to influence health care decision makers and encourage them to be ethical. If not us, then who?

For any of you who would still like to sign the petition, (close to 2,000 names from 50 countries) or who have friends who would sign: link is:  http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-cory-booker-newark-new-jersey-usa-stop-the-hypocritical-newarknestle-campaign-to-target-childhood-obesity?share_id=HDVyjOmNmk&. The petition will be up until the middle of May. Once the Newark / Nestle partnership starts it will be pretty well impossible to stop it.  The time is now, tomorrow is too late.

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)