From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:35:46 -0500
The thing that helps me is clearly delineating things from the get go.
First, I have  a private line that is my business line only. You can do
this with an phone in office, in home, or a cell phone, any of these with
answering machine. I state on my voice mail that services are by
appointment only.  Thanks Barbara Wilson Clay for the model.

  Model Message: "Thanks for calling the Breastfeeding Clinic , and voice
mail for xxxx,  lactation consultant.  You can bypass this greeting and
leave a message now by pressing the pound key. Please leave your phone
number twice, and speak clearly. I will return your call.

Breastfeeding Clinic services are available by appointment only. If you
want to schedule an appointment for a breastfeeding consultation, please
leave your name, phone number and I will return your call.  If you have a
breastfeeding question that does not require an appointment, please feel
free to call LLL at xxxxxxx to find the name of your local LLL Leader and
times of local LLL meetings. For electric breastpump rentals, call xxxxxx,
at xxxxx.  If you have an urgent breastfeeding problem, please call your
MD, midwife, or the local hospital  ER.  Thank you for calling, and have a
great day."

There is no trap involved. State things clearly and up front.  When I call
someone back, I introduce myself, and before they begin, I tell them that
the way that my practice works is that I have time for a short question
then, about 5 minutes, but that if they have a problem that will take more
than this, a consult is best..either phone or in person.  That way, they
get the care they deserve, and my full attention...and my
in-person  evaluation and guidance, and I can best help them with their
concerns.  Helping mothers over the phone is something I've done for years.
I feel that it is shooting in the dark, at times, and I tell mothers that I
hate to shoot in the dark and miss.  Paid consults mean that patients get
full care and professional attention, and I get remuneration. Win win.

Point is made. No apologies. Just fact.

Kathleen