From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:27:54 -0700
There has been a controversy locally about the potential iron status of
infants who are both breast and formula fed with non iron fortified formula.
In one case the mother has had a radical reduction done. She is
breastfeeding but only meets about 1/2 of her infant's need. She is
supplimenting with non iron fortified formula. I am of the opinion that
this will be fine but some of the staff feel the child is at enhanced risk
of anemia due to the combination of breastfeeding and formula.They are
adament that there is new information and that I am not up to date.   This
is of course possible.  Am I wrong? Does the combination of breastmilk with
formula at a feeding (she feeds breast first then tops up) lead to
increased or decreased iron absorption? Does anyone have references?
Rhoda