Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:35:01 -0700
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Lynn Carter wrote:

> This is so cultural, don't you think?  We shouldn't have to teach new
> moms these things, because they should be learning it from relatives and
> friends.

YES!  I tell my students and clients this when I'm encouraging them to
start going to LLL meetings NOW, while they're pregnant.

I know, at least anecdotally, that having just ONE relative or friend to
watch has affected my family and friends.  I credit my "cool aunt" Mary
with starting me down the path of successful lactation when she came to
visit with her nursling right after I found out I was pregnant with my
daughter 27 years ago.  I know many of my friends at that time who had
babies after I did were encouraged to breastfeed because they saw me doing
it.  I know my daughter and her friends were encouraged to breastfeed
because they saw me doing it (she was almost 14 when my youngest was born
- what an impressionable age that is for education on the real purpose of
female breasts!).  I know that my daughter's friends now are encouraged to
breastfeed because they are seeing HER do it.

It's sad that most young women don't have a single soul to watch so they
can learn about breastfeeding, and it's discouraging to me that so many of
them don't take my advice and start attending LLL meetings before their
babies are born.

Cee