From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 20:24:38 +1000
<I've since seen the same thing again - a woman who had continuously damaged
nipples with her first baby, for whom she pumped (and had damage) for 4
months (no LC help).  Now, with her second, it immediately started all over
again and she was pumping blobs.  I've encouraged her to get her milk
cultured and start on appropriate antibiotics; haven't heard back yet.

I know that infections can linger for years in other parts of the body; why
not in the breasts and nipples?>

Another thought. Some people carry staph (S. aureus) in their nose - and
this may be the cause of their recurrent staph infections. I've started
taking nasal swabs of mothers and babies I'm seeing with recurrent mastitis
and / or recurrent damaged nipples.

If staph is being carried in the nose, it is not enough to just take an oral
antibiotic - antibiotic ointment (eg Bacroban nasal ointment) is needed as
well.

Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC (who loves swabbing for staph, because it is SO much
easier to grow than candida)