Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:28:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
I received no replies from anyone who has dealt with this from the list, so I wanted to send an update of what happened to the this mother/baby for future reference.
Mother is still experiencing effects from the neurotoxins. Baby experienced several days of fussiness/fatigue but not enough for the mother to be concerned .
The mother ( also a writer) intends to do a paper on this experience and is working with the Ciguatera research center down here in Miami to contribute to the limited information they have compiled on the effects of breastfeeding and breastmilk in affected mothers.
Bottom line- she pumped and dumped during the course of Mannitol treatment ( mostly due to her incapacity to care for the baby while in the hospital ). Baby (4 months old) experienced the mild side effect of the toxin with fussiness according to the mother. Mother is/will be feeling some effects for a while ( up to a year in some cases, but reduced with IV Mannitol according to studies) and will continue to nurse.
The fish in question was traced to African Pompano, very popular in coastal regions like Florida, but can be found in any large tropical fish even when fully cooked.
Mirine Dye, CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys
http://floridabirth.homestead.com/floridabirth.html

----- Original Message ----- 
  To: Lactation Information and Discussion 
  Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 9:32 AM
  Subject: Urgent Help - SIGUATERA 

I have a mom that called this a.m. visiting from UK. She was treated at our local ER for Siguatera with Manitol and Phenegran. She is exclusively nursing a 4 month old . She found that no one at the hospital ( our very small unit) could answer any questions about nursing with either med or the siguatera with regards to nursing.

I told her that although I am the only phone BF resource to call, I am not a medical professional but that I would try very hard to find out some info for her and call her back.

I know that the toxins are a form of food poisoning with neurological side effects. I also know that it is ok to nurse with food poisoning.  Input helpful!

Mirine Dye
  Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2