From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:28:23 -0500
I received no replies from anyone who has dealt with this from the list, so I wanted to send an update of what happened to the this mother/baby for future reference.
Mother is still experiencing effects from the neurotoxins. Baby experienced several days of fussiness/fatigue but not enough for the mother to be concerned .
The mother ( also a writer) intends to do a paper on this experience and is working with the Ciguatera research center down here in Miami to contribute to the limited information they have compiled on the effects of breastfeeding and breastmilk in affected mothers.
Bottom line- she pumped and dumped during the course of Mannitol treatment ( mostly due to her incapacity to care for the baby while in the hospital ). Baby (4 months old) experienced the mild side effect of the toxin with fussiness according to the mother. Mother is/will be feeling some effects for a while ( up to a year in some cases, but reduced with IV Mannitol according to studies) and will continue to nurse.
The fish in question was traced to African Pompano, very popular in coastal regions like Florida, but can be found in any large tropical fish even when fully cooked.
Mirine Dye, CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys
http://floridabirth.homestead.com/floridabirth.html