Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:56:29 -0700
Hi lactnet,
  We finally got an IBCLC at our little regional hospital!!! She has
asked me to address you with this interesting case.
  A two day old fullterm baby had some stridor. ENT doc discovered
paralyzed vocal cords on left. He is worried about aspiration and reflux
and has reccomended a lengthy hospitalizaton
for observation and or gavage feeding.  The mom is from a town about 120
miles away so logistics are a night mare .  The baby is nursing at the
breast for now. but mom can't stay at hospital much longer. I can just
see the bottles coming out now and a down hill spiral .
I guess I don't understand the anatomy and physiology real well, but is a
paralyzed vocalcord associated with aspiration and reflux or just make
complications more likely if it does occur?  Anybody dealt with this
before?

Mary Graden LLLL Idaho