Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:59:14 EST
I have a G5P4 mom who is now 2mo. pp  She successfully breastfed her three
older children and is now distraught at what is occuring with her fourth.
Since three weeks of age her baby began projectile vomitting every time mom
nursed.  Immediately after vomiting baby would be hungry and nurse again.
After two days ped. surgery was consulted re: possible pyloric stenosis.  This
was ruled out and they recommended supplementing with thickened formula (Yes I
know Jack!) for GERD. Unfortunately it was ten days before they returned to my
office and I became aware of the supplementation.  By this point mom was
unwilling to d/c supplements for fear of weight loss.  Todate baby continues
to grow following the charts well.

Now it is four weeks since ped. consult, - baby continues to vomit volumes of
breast milk, mom will nurse again, baby will vomit, mom will supplement with
thickend formula and the baby will spit minimally.  Changing feeding
positionings, amounts of feeding, positioning after feeding have all been
tried.  I am now at a loss, mom is now convinced the vomiting is due to
breastmilk not being thick enough.  Help, she really wants to nurse.

Mark Moores, MD CCFP
(displaced canadian:)