From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:37:54 -0800
Seriously??? A diaper blowout is a reason to feed your child artificial baby milk? I would like to think that I cannot imagine a mother superficial enough to be swayed by this "disadvantage". Sadly, I can think of several mothers who are on the fence and could be swayed by such a comment.

  It is a very lame point, and not even terribly accurate. Yes, the stools are looser, but they do not have anything approaching the staining power of formula poops (not to mention formula spit-up stains!). I cloth-diapered my children. I never had a diaper that was permanently stained from breastmilk poop. All stains came out with either regular washing or sun-bleaching. Once my kiddos started on solid foods, that was not the case. Hand-me down clothes from other breastfeeding mothers never had spit-up stains; those from formula-feeding mothers normally had gross brown stains around the neckline. If people are going to use superficial arguments against breastfeeding, they should at least be more accurate!

  While we're focusing on the silly benefits/"disadvantages," how about the glorious breasts I had while nursing an infant? Even here in Southern California, they were noticed :)

  --Kellie Whitney
  p.s. I love the comment about bf being more expensive as your child is more likely to survive, leading to college tuition costs! Let's not forget  that these little ones are smarter, so you may be facing Harvard or Brown tuition instead of the local Community College (not that I have a problem with communuty colleges...I attended one before transfering)
LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I agree with Janice, I didn't like the overall tone of this article. This
is absolutely the first time in my 26 years of helping breastfeeding mothers
that I've heard this: "it is also messy. Breastfed babies' excretions are
softer, though less smelly, than those of formula-fed babies." So, one of
the disadvantages of breastfeeding is that breastfed babies have softer
stools, making them harder to clean! Good grief! Next thing they'll be
telling us is that one disadvantage of breastfeeding is that it is more
expensive because the child is more likely to live, so that you will have to
pay for college!