From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 16:04:32 -0400
<<The foods this family can eat are very limited already.  The father
is  a
> vegetarian>>

I used to be veg too, but when my youngest child's allergies were
dx'ed....well, the veg thing was all over.   It was tough but, well,
whatever.  You do tough things when your kids health is at risk.
Personally, with all of the kids issues, I think the dad can either make
his own food, or eat whatever mom makes.

<< They said they don't need
> to test this babe for celiac disease because he's not  losing weight,
> although
> he's also not gaining. >>

well, blood in stools isn't a typical symptom of celiac, but
crohn's........

however, it could be more than one issue though.  and if it started in
conjunction wtih solids introduction then baby should definitely be
tested.  heck, celiac can be present even without weight loss.  they
really shouldn't take no for an answer.  and gluten intolerance without
celiac does exist so that should probably be a consideration as well

<<put him on a hypo-allergenic  "formula" and
> admit him to the hospital for 2-3 weeks of intensive  testing. >>

love that one.  good maude.  there is another thing.  mom can do her own
elimination rare foods/ paleo diet.  there's another league leader who
had a baby with the same situation you described and who got the same
info from the ped allergist and ped gastro.  in the end she ended up
going to very rare foods - baby ended up tolerating no grains
iirc......but mom and  baby could eat bison, ostrich, duck and wild
salmon (only wild!).  i think that's it anyway.  I wasn't in contact
with her through the whole reintro period but I do know it took a long
time and baby was reactive to many common foods like carrots, rice etc.

probiotics (like Garden of Life Primal Defense especially) could be very
beneficial.....digestive enzymes may be in order.    Consider working
with  a professional - most naturopaths wouldn't be up to it
unfortunately, but there are some who would.  I just don't know of
them.  If someone has naturopath recommendations, please let me know.

As far as nutritionists go, Krispin Sullivan can't be beat.   Her
knowlege base is vast, she nursed her kids for long time, she knows that
breastmilk is the only acceptable food for human babies and will support
the mom within this context.

One thing at the top of the list, along with celiac testing, would be a
Comprensive Stool analysis plus parasitology from Great Smokies.....

Allergies are a sign that the gut has sustained damage.....remove what's
causing the damage, restore gut health by eating the right things,
probiotics etc.....then 'triggered' intolerances will often go away
(genetic intolerances will remain though).

Katherine in atl
working gut health in this house after too many years of vegetariansim
and way too many grains.