From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 22:49:37 -0400
I wrote to the ADA tonight, at [log in to unmask]

Here it is..and I encourage others to write as well. Really, I mean REALLLY. : /

I am writing at this time in response to your "Eat Right Tip of the Day," at
http://www.eatright.org/erm051398.html.

I must admit that I was flabbergasted to find a graphic of a bottlefed baby
on your nutrition " tip of the day"  page. In this section, where pregnancy
is discussed, there is no mention of breastfeeding whatsoever, and instead,
there is a graphic of a baby being fed by artificial means...This graphical
representation leads readers to think of bottlefeeding as the cultural norm,
...when in fact, breastfeeding is the healthiest and most cost effective way
to feed human babies...the gold standard.

I respectfully suggest that you change this graphic to a breastfeeding
baby,...for, after all, breastfeeding is truly the beginning of a lifetime
of good  nutrition, and is the norm for our species. For the many families
who might view your pages, it would be a wonderful service for you to depict
breastfeeding as the healthiest choice for mothers and babies.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. The AAP 1997
statement on breastfeeding is on the www, and this might be a good reference
for you to link to on your site when you discuss infant feeding.

Warm Regards,

Kathleen B. Bruce BSN, IBCLC

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
 Emily's Mothering Project- http://together.net/~kbruce/proj.html
For LACTNET quilt raffle: http://together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html