Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:11:58 EDT
Jeannie asked about....

> busy. She noticed with pumping she had a big drop in
> supply.  This followed her beginning a low carb. diet plan.
> I am searching archives for more on this, but would appreciate your

In my experience (vast -- w/ Atkins -- don't flame me -- BTDT) is that the
drop in milk supply mirrors the amazing drop in calories that this mom is
taking in.  W/ a lo carb diet, mom is not nearly as hungry -- is eating
according to how hungry she is, but she simply doesn't have the
cravings/hunger that she did before, so milk supply decreases accordingly.  I
remember reading somewhere -- a long time ago -- that mom's milk supply can
tolerate a slow decrease in caloric intake, but if she drops suddenly from
say 2500 cal/day to 1000 cal/day, that after about a week, the milk supply
will drop.  If she's always been on 1000 cal/day or less (as women in third
world countries on starvation type diets), her milk supply will do OK,
because her body has adjusted to that.  But a sudden decrease tells her body
she's in starvation mode and to conserve on all fronts.

Sorry -- no references -- just a feeble brain trying to dredge up info
here....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Administrative & Program Director
Lactation Education Consultants