From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:54:13 -0500
I would encourage the moms to nurse at least until they go back to work,
and point out that even if they don't want to (or can't) pump at work, that
they can still nurse often during the hours they *are* with their baby,
including at night -- have them sit down and think about how many hours of
24 they will actually be gone.  It's probably only 8-10 at the most, which
leaves 14-16 hours of time that they can be nursing their baby.  I know
that some women will be uncomfortable if they can't pump, and others will
see a dwindling in milk supply, but I also know that many women's bodies
will adjust just fine, and the babies will be getting a big percentage of
their intake still from their moms.  It is possible to work full time and
continue to breastfeed even without pumping IF you nurse the baby often
when you are together, including co-sleeping.

-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html