From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:46:37 -0400
>You mentioned that Moms will call inquiring about the high freq. of fds and I
>get those calls too. Most are looking for direction/ideas on how to decrease
>the freq of fds. because this doesn't fit with their lifestyle and/or their
>baby isn't happy or growing well without some longer periods of sleep etc.

I've also seen moms at consults practically standing on their heads trying
to calm the baby w/o putting him to breast.  At the same time, *I'm*
practically standing on my head giving them subtle hints about how offering
to nurse right about now would be a fine thing to try.  When it finally
penetrates that they might actually go ahead and offer even though it's been
"only an hour" or whatever, they discover that the baby calms instantly and
they can turn their attention to absolutely anything else, so long as it
requires only one hand.  It's a revelation to them that nursing can be less
energy intensive than not nursing.  These women aren't looking specifically
for more widely spaced feeds; they're looking for a less frantic form of
motherhood... and nursing more often can be the very "release" they were
looking for.  They can be utterly astounded - and pleased - to discover that
it's okay to nurse for more than hunger and for less than 20 minutes.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY