From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:20:26 -0400
Hi Debbie - I work in a midwives office where we have a breastfeeding clinic
as a sub-part of the office. We bill the mom as a routine maternity care
visit, but not rolled in with the global pregnancy charge. Even if she is
within her 6 week period, we have been successfully generating a separate
bill for the lactation service. However, the clincher is that a billing
provider (in our case, a midwife) needs to see each patient along with the
lactation service provider. So, typically we see the patient for 45 minutes
or so, then the midwife comes in at the end to discuss the care plan
(typically about 5 minutes) then we wrap up with the patient. There is a
list of lactation codes that can be used (I don't have in front of me, but
maybe someone else can help me with where they're from - they're from a
lactation textbook). There are codes for mothers and infants, and we are
only able to use the maternal codes (for example, if the infant is
tongue-tied, we have to bill for the effects on mom - sore nipples, nipple
trauma, low milk supply, etc). There is one code (676.94) that encompasses
general lactation problems, then a bunch of more specific ones, including
nipple pain, mastitis, "suppressed lactation", and a host of other versatile
options. We can only bill for the amount of time the billing provider
actually spends with the patient, so mostly we are billing level 2 visits,
but can do a level 3 if the provider examines more than 2 systems and writes
a prescription.
I spoke to another LC at ILCA who was having similar success billing through
a pediatric practice, so there are certainly ways around it. Our only
limitation right now is that we can't generate a separate bill if the mom
comes in to see us on the same day as her 6 week follow-up - can't have 2
visits with the same provider on the same day, and there's only one MW in
the office each day.

I can get you more specific info when I'm at the office tomorrow, so email
me if you need more - but it can be done!

Kirsten Berggren, PhD, CLC