From:
Laura Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:03:48 -0500
----- One of the charge nurses on the unit is part of the hospitals' pain management team.  One of the suggested methods is to use a pacifier dipped in sucrose.  Anyone working on pain management for infants ?  We haven't had pacifiers in our institution for 5 yrs. and really don't want to promte their use for any reason because they will be misused by staff.  They complain now about it on and off and despite all the info given to them, it doesn't seem to matter. Overall, their use is discouraged until BF is well established.  If parents wish otherwise, then they have to bring in their own and it is documented.  We are a level one hospital now but by next year, we'll have a level two designation.  I searched the archives first but nothing was found.  I'd appreciate any info anyone has.  I haven't seen any of the info yet myself.  I'm feeling a bit discouraged lately - the 11-7 charge nurse said in no uncertain terms that she doesn't believe a word of BF's worth to baby and we shouldn't be badgering mothers.  The Ross rep has been coming around lately too with videos and the day charge nurse has been coordinating these.  We hadn't been doing that either for the last three yrs.  More and more, I'm feeling out of the loop.  It wasn't a good week last week.

  Laura Walker,RNC, IBCLC