Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 04:21:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)

Tina,
Why would you encourage the mother to do an elimination diet "under the supervision of her physician"? Every person who has even a vague knowledge of nutrition knows auto-immune disease is nutritional in nature. Her physician obviously knows she has this condition and has never advocated such an approach. For the most part, they dismiss any correlation. Further, they rarely understand the concept of elimination whatsoever, have no resources as to hidden sources of gluten in the diet, have nothing to offer the mom to support such an extreme shift, do not understand the need for gut healing and mismanage the whole situation. IMO, referring to most physicians means it will never happen or it will be done incorrectly and mom will think it failed.  Most doctors treat topically, which from a holistic vantage means they are actually forcing the body into a more chronic disease state. Further,elimination of cow milk and corn and soy would be as likely needed.Frankly, I see corn allergy as one of the biggest causes of skin flareas anything.

So, while I agree that all disease must be treated nutritionally--first and foremost, actually--if mom needs supervision, I would refer her to a naturopath (one I knew, bc many have no breastfeeding education at all) or a nutritionist (not an RD, unless she had further education than the mainstream). Most of my clients who have done elimination diet have done so initially on their own, but I have also been fortunate to have someone skilled in muscle-testing to evaluate allergens. Once they see the results, they often go on to work with an ND, as gut healing can be quite a process. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, Toulouse, FR
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:30:54 -0800
Subject: Re: Psoriasis

Re dietary changes for psoriasis:

There is a high incidence of wheat/gluten intolerance among psoriasis sufferers.  
The mother might want to consider an elimination diet under the direction of her 
physician.  

Tina Carlson, PPD, CLC
CT USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2