From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:46:07 EST

Debbie wrote:

I guess that  since the mom wasn't able to walk out of the room with a smile
on her face and  a milk-drunk baby, I feel like I could do better, like I let
the  mom
down.  Not only that, I feel like it's my fault that she won't  have a normal
breastfeeding relationship with this precious baby.

Is  it inappropriate for me to think I can reveal unwelcome news, and still
not  ever become the bad guy?

 We are not the bad guys, although yes we are often the bringers or
confirmers of the 'bad' (difficult) truths. I feel like over the years I  have had to
adjust myself to thinking that my role is not specifically  to get every baby
breastfeeding easily and the mom smiling, it's to help a  mother and baby have
the most normal, nurturing feeding relationship possible.  under their
circumstances. It would be great if that always ended with  exclusive breastfeeding
and comfortable, relaxed mom and baby. It just  doesn't. As  a physical
therapist, my role was to help many people  walk again, but sometimes it was to
teach someone how to maneuver in their  wheelchairs, to walk with crutches and
prosthetic limbs, it was always specific  to each person. There are things we
cannot change, and PCOS is one of those  things. Personally, I think the only
thing that is your 'fault' here is that you  will now empower this mother with
the information she needs to use or  try  the best feeding and nurturing
strategies for and her baby in her situation.  Being the bearer of bad news is a
tough role, believe me I know, but it is a  gift to be able to be honest and
helpful when that news is bad. You may be the  only person capable of giving her
the info she needs, acknowledging the grief  that causes ( the situation, not
you, remember...:) and helping to support her  through whatever nearness to
normalcy you can assist with. I could say a lot  else, but won't. She is lucky to
have you, and someday may come back thanking  you for your honesty, and even
if she doesn't somewhere inside her, it will be  meaningful.

Peace in your heart,
Judy, on her third post!

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, NY, USA