Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:27:49 -0300
> We have to give individuated care to lactating women just as in
> other aspects of health care.  To blame their attitudes seems like a blame
> the victim mentality to me.  I would rather understand more clearly what
> their specific challenge is and deal with it.

I agree completely. This is part of getting out of the fix-it manual,
too. It's great to have a tool box, but the only tool that works all the
time is to work towards understanding. There are at least two complex
individuals who are involved in relationship, and they have bodies and
hearts and interconnected systems. When there is a breastfeeding
problem, it is caused by and affects a whole lot of other systems.

Even if it is clearly a case of the external, medical system failing the
mother, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other considerations:
why are some women more easily influenced by their hcps than others? Why
do some babies quickly fall into a reassuring patterns? Why are some
mothers able to latch their babies on easily? Why are some babies
affected by every little thing?

My dh was at a meeting discussing how to better integrate immigrants and
newcomers. They discussed recommendations, etc. but there was still an
underlying reality: influencing policy was one thing, but food still
needed to be put on the table.

Thank goodness some of us are talking to one or two mothers a day and
others seeing dozens; some of us are writing articles, giving
presentations, sitting on committees, meeting with stakeholders,
preparing inservices, etc. It's all important. But to the mother who
needs support and information, the fact that you are there, talking to
her, is what really counts.

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, IBCLC