Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:05:36 EDT
In a message dated 06/09/2000 7:15:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< the worst case scenario, which my above mentioned friend
 described as a possible future for our children - "a world in which there are
 the 'haves' - who were breastfed, attachment parented, had a loving
 upbringing, and the 'have nots' - those who didn't get those things, got
 bottles and pacifiers in their mouths instead, and spankings to hush up when
 the artificial nipples didn't work - and our children will be trying
 desperately to deal with the 'have nots.' " >>
Carol,
    Your point is scary and well-taken, though I would hesistate to put in
"spanking" as something that is always lumped in with nonNursing moms. With
the rate of abuse of all kinds against women and girls so high in the US, and
certainly a whole generation of kids, now becoming parents,  who were
parented "hands-off" style, there will certainly be quite a few moms who
cannot bring themselves to either surrender to the closeness and the extreme
responsibility to breatfeed, or even nurture closely. These moms, whose
mothering confidence may be zero, whose own needs were either not met, or
were met with alternating physical or emotional violence, might not be able
to nurse, or mother a normal, dependent infant in the close, physical way a
baby needs, but they can also be strongly protective as they are able, and
struggle to make sure they NEVER hit their children.
Just my 2 cents.
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY, and don't think I haven't thought of a dating
service for AP-parented kids...:)