From:
Roberta Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:04:33 -0600
   Hi Yaffa:

Thanks for your comments about re-using equip, etc. and for recalled your
own days of re-sterilizing gloves. I totally agree that risks should be
avoided at all costs, but sometimes our real situation has implied risks
already built into it.

Re: supplementing with syringes, etc. I can't wait for you to show me this
set-up. I can promise you that *I* won't jump.
Here in Mexico cup feeding is the main alternative to direct BF or gavage.
And nobody seems worried about babies bronco-aspirating. Different world, huh?

See you in AZ....adios, Roberta

--------------

 Dear Marie:

Thank you for your sobering and thought provoking sharing on  Universal
Protection measures. I realize we, who are not taking the necessary
precautions, are truly playing with fire.  I would like to talk more about
this subject with those who will be at ILCA.  Are you planning to be there?

For myself, here where even the Dr.s are not using the necessary
protection, using gloves as an LC would certainly be a contrast....which is
no excuse for not taking these precautions. Believe me, next time that
colostrum dribbles over my fingers as I show a new mother how to
hand-express....I will be seriously considering new habits...Perhaps, if I
begin to be more careful - both to protect myself *and* to protect the new
baby and mother from something that I may pass on to them....I'll be
starting a positive trend here in the medical community, and will certainly
give a professional impression to my clients.

By explaining that the use of the gloves is to *protect the baby* I would
hope that this would be accepted favorably by the mother.....as opposed to
her feeling I didn't want to acquire her 'cooties', as we used to say.

Thanks for your sharing!

Roberta