From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:28:07 -0600
Laura,
This is a tough case. The toughest part is that the mother is high risk for
quitting altogether. I hope she doesn't and you can talk with her about
the necessity of her milk, esp. in light of the baby's sensitivity to other,
artificial milks.
If mother is willing, I would probably go through these things: is the baby
tongue-tied?, will she reconsider use of a supplementer, preferably a
home-made one which I
think are the easiest to use (threading a feeding tube through a
bottle/nipple). Brainstorm how to do quickie power pumping - can she wear a
hands-free bra, or make one, can she just pump 5 minutes each time, but do
so frequently? is she using a top-notch pump and not a working moms pump?
does the pump flange fit her? even if appears to, perhaps try a larger
flange size?
I was going to say that many moms quit too soon, and sometimes these supply
issues take weeks to resolve. I see she has been at it for 6 weeks. That is
a long time, although the
potential is still there to increase. Investigate any dietary or over the
counter meds just in case she is on something that is sabotaging her supply.
Specifically ask about benadryl, sleep aids, allergy meds, birth control,
peppermints, etc.
I think mom really needs time to express her needs, frustrations, goals, and
at the same time, see if you can make things easier in some way to keep her
going. I would think a
supplementer would be a good thing along with galactagogues, and have her
just enjoy nursing. If she goes out and needs the bottle, so be it.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA