From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:48:46 -0500
Getting old, so different things catch my attention.  My 11 yo granddaughter was impressed that I have Life Magazine withwalk of moon on cover - proof that I am old according to her!

Anyway I found we have 2 copies of "Primary Health Care Pioneer: The selected works of Dr. Cicely D. Williams", Naomi Baumslag, MD - Editor, 1986.  So I decided to cut one and scan it into the CBI database.  I knew she was famous for Milk and Murder ( a speech she gave in  Malaysia, in front of the CEO of Nestle!)  Of course while I was cutting and scanning I read bits and pieces - now I have to read the whole book!  She discovered Kwashiorkor (the weanlings illness-not enough protein) and was ridiculed by medicine at that time, they thought she was wrong.  (Reminds me of several other famous drs who were ridiculed for hand washing, cause of stomach ulcers and so on).  Which also  reminds me that new discoveries in medicine take about 20-30 years to become accepted - WHY?  So go to your local library and borrow a copy of this book to read :-)

Second-  I am so impressed by the work of Dr Baumslag!  What an incredible amount of work this book represents.  Pat in SNJ