From:
Tami Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:19:21 -0700
Hi All!
Just wanted to take a minute to reply to this information listed on a post
about St. John's Wort, Echinacea and Kava Kava.
Although I agree with the assesment on St. John's and Echinacea that they
are safe during bf, Echinacea should not be used daily "as a preventative"
only when the immune system needs a boost.
Regarding Kava Kava, I would not recommend its exclusive use during bf,
however I have been using and recommending this herb for several years as
part of a combination that I make called "Natural Calm" it is a blend of St.
John's and Kava Kava and is used for depression with anxiety related
symptoms.
We have found it to be quite effective with no ill effects for baby or mom.
So I believe that in this case we are dealing with the age old adage
"everything in moderation" while a small amount of Kava Kava is fine is bf,
large doses is absolutely not recommended.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Wishing you health and wellness!
Tami Karnes
Certified Herbalist

One With Nature http://www.onewithnature.net