Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:43:11 EDT
>  The conclusions as noted in the abstract were that "in a hospital that
>  strongly promotes bf, epidural labor analgesia with local anesthetics and
>  opioids does not impede breastfeeding success. We recommend that hospitals
>  that find decreased lactation success in parturients receiving epidural
>  analgesia reexamine their postdelivery care policies."
        This finding as reported by Kathy in a post today, comes from the
journal Birth.  A Baby-Friendly Hospital in the USA (don't remember which
one) has a very high epidural rate and fabulous breastfeeding initiation
rates. The nurses that work there say it is because there is so much
breastfeeding support, as the 10 Steps are implemented.
        This is difficult. If this evidence is valid, then one argument
against the use of epidurals is negated. How does that make us feel?
        Warmly, Nikki Lee ( who is not in favor of routine epidurals because
of the risks and useless septic work-ups in babies and the increase in
operative delivery and the expense and the taking of the  whole woman out
birth)