From:
The Curries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:35:08 +0200
     How's this?   In the "Mail and Guardian" Johannesburg,  there is a
press clipping "Mbabane (Swaziland) - Mothers who do not breastfeed their
babies may be liable for a fine of E10,000 or 15 months in jail as
stipulated in the Public Health Bill of 1998/99.   However the Minister for
Health and Social Welfare Dr. Phetsile Dlamini said the fine was not
punitive as the nurses claimed recently, pointing out that its aim was to
encourage mothers to obey health regulations".   The rest of the article
said that it was higly unlikely that mothers would be fined but the main aim
was to promote breastfeeding as studies had shown that breastfeeding was the
best form of baby feeding.   If anyone wants to clipping for whatever
reasons please contact me and I'll send it to you.
Barbie Currie.   White River, Mpumalanga, South Africa.