From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:57:24 -0800
Go Nikki !  Personally and professionally I have examined how the media and
professional lit  treats  women's bodies and functions.  In an article I
authored several years ago--"When the Phoenix Rises, Where Will She Go:
The Women's Health Agenda (later converted to a book chapter in HEALTH CARE
REFORM IN THE 1990S) I site many of the horrendous statistics regarding the
use of the male body as the norm in our society. (I'd be happy to email a
copy to those not able to access it).

Beyond this though, there is the discussion of If one looks historically,
we can see that the industrial revolution  played an enormous role in
separating the workplace from home, and subsequently, isolated women from
their ability to make an economic living while caring for their children.
While I'm not an historian nor anthropologist, I'm sure those who are (on
LN) would be better able to comment on this.
Chris

 Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC   email: [log in to unmask]
                HSR & Health Educational Consultant