From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:03:41 -0500
>BTW, have any of you had babies who are (first 2-3 weeks) bf an appropriate
>number of times, wetting diapers AND stooling appropriately (3-5 nice sized,
>seedy yellow stools/24 hours) and are yet NOT gaining?  I've had two in the
>past week...really throwing me, as I felt as though the stools were the
>cardinal guidelines about whether or not babies were doing well (this is on
>routine follow up calls).  Moms are hearing swallowing -- nothing that
>indicates not all is going well; then on peds visit, baby isn't up to birth
>weight....

Two in the past week almost sounds like somebody's scale is off!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLL  Ithaca, NY, one of whose children *lost
height* in changing doctors.  Everyone knows kids don't shrink, so they
immediately figured someone measured wrong.  But that's never the first
thought with weight, even when the baby seems to be thriving.  Makes me
think of the cartoon showing a woman in labor puffing and panting, while
the husband, watching the monitor, tells her the contraction is over.