From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:53:11 -0400
Susan wrote:
>I just discovered a law on the books in NY State - apparently unique
among the 50 states that states that formula discharge packs cannot be
given to a woman without a prescription from her pediatrician or the
request of the woman.  So, I'm wondering why all women I see (and
including myself) are given these packs even when they don't ask for
them. <

I believe that this law dates back to 1981 and also includes a
requirement for mothers to be instructed on how to breastfeed and how
to deal with common concerns, BEFORE they are discharged. This law was
formulated when most moms stayed in the hospital for at least three
days. I used to hand out copies, but I ran out and no longer have any.
Do you know of a website where it can be found?
The law relating to mothers in prison  -
§ 611. Births to inmates of correctional institutions and care of
children of inmates of correctional institutions
can be found at: http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills30.html
NY State laws about nursing in public are on the same page.

Mothers tell me that in our local (upstate NY) hospitals, nurses ask
the moms if they want the packs (or just assume they do) and then
rationalize that they would have refused the *free gift* if they
didn't want them.
How is that for convoluted thinking?
This is something I will DEFINATELY put on the agenda of our next
Breastfeeding Network meeting!

norma