From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:03:12 -0400
<< In a message dated 97-06-10 19:52:12 EDT, Chris writes:

 << To increase milk production, eat apricots, asparagus, fresh green beans,
  carrots, parsley, peas, pecans, sweet potatoes. >>

 I've heard oatmeal in a couple of different places, and brewer's yeast, but
 what would any of these foods have to do with increasing milk?  Do they
 affect prolactin levels?  Make alveoli grow?  Make the milk taste better so
 the baby drinks more?  (In that case, lets hear it for garlic!)

 question:  how do galactogogues work?  We know that Reglan increases
 prolactin levels.  How does Motilium work?  Does anyone know the secret of
 fenugreek or fennel?  How does sage decrease milk supply?  Or parsley, for
 that matter (yes, Chris, I think I've heard parsley decreases milk supply.)

 Then there was the pediatrician, overheard to tell a mother, "as long as you
 are breastfeeding, don't eat anything that starts with the letter "p" as it
 will bother the baby."  And look at the list here!

 Jan
Wheaton, IL