From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:29:21 +0200
I`m not really replying usefully to the question but I hope that there is no
qualification on-line for lactation counsellors, childbirth educators etc.
The art of this profession is not just what you know but how you do it.  The
counsellor`s personality, listening skills, empathy are just as important as
fact-finding.  If this friend is already a doula and was trained in a
"real-time course" as opposed to a virtual one, she should have some of
those skills.
As I have written before, I have met  counsellors who passed their exams
with flying colours but do not have the necessary interpersonal skills or
attitude and they got their certificates after minimum supervision and
attendance at workshops.
On-line courses are ideal for further education and keeping updated with new
evidence and studies, but not for a primary qualification.
I used to run the training courses for the Israel Childbirth Education
Centre and it sometimes took me several months of weekly workshops until I
really knew each student.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT.UK Qualified Tutor-Childbirth educator/Breastfeeding Counsellor.